The Four Fundamentals
Of A Friendly Website
This is achieved by using the right combination of content, navigation, and functionality.
WHY IS WEBSITE USABILITY IMPORTANT?A user-friendly website that meets users’ expectations is more likely to encourage people to take the desired action, whatever your marketing goals are. If a website looks good but is difficult to use, you’re going to lose a significant number of visitors, your bounce-rates will go through the roof, and it will impact your search engine rankings, brand reputation, and sales.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR WEBSITE MORE USER-FRIENDLYThere are countless things you can do, but here we’ll look at the four essential characteristics of a user-friendly website and offer some quick tips to help your business succeed today and for many years to come.
- Clear, Scannable Content: Make it clear what each web page is about. According to aNielson Norman Group study, on average only around 28 percent of content is read, meaning every page should be scannable.
- Place the most important content above the fold
- Use a high color contrast between the background and the text
- Use sans serif fonts such as Arial and Helvetica
- Use headings, subheadings, short paragraphs, and bulleted lists
- Use visuals to break up text and add meaning
- Efficient Navigation: Try to help people find what they’re looking for as quickly as possible.
- Limit the number of menu items to only the most necessary
- Use familiar terms like “About,” and “Contact Us”
- Place navigation links above the fold, regardless of the device being used
- Include a search box and a sitemap
- Use self-explanatory anchor text links such as “Sign up to our newsletter”
- Include contact information on every page
- Smooth Functionality: Make sure users don’t hit any roadblocks to keep them using your site.
- Regularly check for broken links
- Add a search box and a helpful sentence to your 404 page
- Check your website’s speed using tools like Google’s Page Speed Tools
- Make sure your website is view-able on multiple devices (see below)
- Use uncomplicated contact forms
- Use calls-to-action on every page to guide the visitor
- Mobile-Friendly Design: Does your website look good on mobile devices? Today, a user-friendly website is a mobile-friendly website.
- Use responsive web design
- Keep the content short and sweet
- Avoid popups
- Use conventional mobile icons instead of words for basic functions like the main menu
- Make your phone number, location, and contact information accessible on every page
- Request the minimum amount of information in forms
- Consider your main marketing goals and incorporate them into the design, such as a click-to-call function, or a booking form
These fundamentals of user-friendly design will help any business remain credible in the eyes of users and search engines. Above all, keep your website simple and intuitive and you’re likely to capture more leads and boost your sales.
Contact Tampa digital marketing agency today if you want to make your website more user-friendly and search engine-friendly, so you can maximize your sales potential